January 30th, 7:00am with Sumit Manav
MASTER CLEANSING OR SANKH PRAKSHALANA
Shankh Prakshalana is a process or ancient method to completely cleanse the intestinal tract so as to remove its impurities by oral administration of saltwater.
Sankh = Conch
Prakshalana = Wash or cleanse
What does this workshop include?
We will also practice a very ancient Yogic technique to cleanse the alimentary canal from the mouth to the anus; Shankha meaning ‘conch’ Prakhshalana meaning to ‘wash completely’ with the following 5 postures:
Our lives move at a speed that our insides do not necessarily agree with. Thus, it is important to calm down once in a while and bring all the reigns in tandem. This is the essence of detoxification – delineating the toxins from your body to give you a healthy mind and spirit.
For ages, Yogis have been prescribing a special tool for detoxification – Shankh Prakshalana. This literally means conch cleansing. An important tool in Hatha Yoga, the process refers to deep cleansing of the intestines and bowels. Yoga sciences believe the body is a hinterland of energies and each organ has a specific role to play in this energy ecosystem. The intestines, for example, are the roots that hold the entire functioning together. One rupture here, and the effects are seen all over!
Since the intestines are shaped like a conch, its cleansing is called conch cleansing i.e. Shankh Prakshalana. The process involves cleansing of the entire alimentary canal – from the mouth to the anus. Also called Varisara Dhauti, it starts off with a light meal the previous night. On the day of the actual cleansing, drink warm water with dissolved rock salt and a dash of lime.
Ensure you are well hydrated before every two rounds. You may also feel the need to visit the washroom often and this is normal. Once you are through with this, do the Vamana dhauti – Cleansing of the stomach and rest in Shavasana or Yoga Nidra. The meal followed post this practice is wholesome, but without too much spice, salt or oil – this helps restore energy and lubricate your digestive tract.
At the rate at which our body suffers due to our schedules, detoxification once a month is the least we can do. Happy Cleansing!
- Should be Perform on an empty stomach, early morning is the best
- Skip your regular exercises this day
- Do not drink coffee and tea, do not smoke, do not eat cheat this morning.
- Your mood matter! Don’t be afraid of anything, focus on the positive effect. Do not think only about losing weight or getting rid of diseases, just relax and go with a smile
- Prepare food and warm clothes: socks and long sleeve shirt. After the procedure, you will possibly feel cold for 2-3 hours
- Perform inconvenient and warm atmosphere, in a comfortable gym suit because you will do special exercises (asanas)
- Smile once more. Don’t be serious and concentrated too much. What you have planned is not a stress, but a good treatment for your health!
Preparation of salt solution for Shankh Prakshalana:
- You will need 5 liters of lukewarm water. No cold water to avoid freezing the digestive tract. Also not hot because drinking should be comfortable. Make sure the water remains warm all the time during the procedure, fill a big saucepan and keep on the stove. Set it on low heat when the water gets cold.
- Sea salt is the best solution if not, use rock salt. The main point is to avoid regular table salt.
- Proportions: about 1 Oz of salt per quart of water. This is 5-6 tablespoons for 5 quarts of water. Not more, otherwise after the procedure, you may have a headache.
- Stir well and make sure all the grains are dissolved.
How does this help?
Your intestines and digestive tracts can now work at their optimum best
Relieves constipation, menstrual cramps, flatulence, indigestion, acidity as well as acne and boils.
Fights urinary infections
Keeps kidney stones at bay
The meal involves a simple Khichri – a mixture of rice and lentils. This forms a protective coating over the intestinal walls
Shanka Prakshalana purifies the blood, detoxifies the body and helps develop good digestion. It eliminates allergies and skin diseases (e.g. acne, neurodermatitis or psoriasis). Furthermore, it has a balancing effect on the mind.
Cleanse the whole digestive tract